People shout at the TV when they watch sports, “I could have done better than that,” or “What a moron! Did he not see the left side of the goal open?” When we’re not playing we know exactly what we would do if we were in the game, but we have no clue what to do when we are “us.”
We say it about big time CEO’s, entrepreneurs, and chefs. “Well if I was the chef, I’d add a little more sorbet garnish on the side of this dish.” Then, when it comes down to you landing a new client, the best thing you can think of is “Maybe I’ll give them a call.” (hint: NO. NO. NO.)
We had a client that we were trying to get and we went all out. We romanticized the guy like I did when I was getting my wife to commit to spending her life with me—all out, at the risk of looking stupid. We made a decision to be remarkable and chose to truly give it our creative best.
No matter what you’re facing in life, there comes a point where you have to make a decision. Are you going to face your dreams head on and go after them or are you going to shrink away and let the abyss of “hopefully something cool will happen and hopefully someone important will want to interview me one day” take over?
I want to challenge you to decide to dominate life. Choose to stare life in the face and commit to making the best of yourself and at the very least, attempt to accomplish your dreams.
How do you decide to dominate?
- It’s up to you. Realize this, at the end of the day, you are solely responsible for you. It’s not someone else’s fault, it’s not about what happened to you. It’s about you taking responsibility no matter the outcome of what you’re working on.
- Know thyself. What are your strengths and weaknesses? So many times, I see people trying to work on their weaknesses. Run to strengths. Find ways to outsource weaknesses. Then if you have some free time on your hand, you can double back around and work on those things you are weak at, like learning how to write code in 40 different languages.
- Take Massive Action. Today is the day to start. Someday is not an actual day. It will never come. Take your “someday” and make it today.
- Create. Ship. Repeat. Your new product, book, idea, whatever can always be just a little better, but at some point you need to ship it out into the world and see what happens. Fear is really uncertainty—uncertainty of the future, of not knowing the outcome, of unreal expectations. This goes hand in hand with someday. Ship out your idea. Poke the box a bit and see what happens. You’ll be surprised what this one principle alone can help you overcome. Ready. Fire. Aim.
- Stop Caring. Stop caring about failure, about what other people think. Enough said. If you have an idea you want to try, then try it. No one ever, ever built a statue to a critic. And for goodness sake, stop listening to excuses.
- Connect with other dominators. Build your network horizontally, not just vertically. A vertical network consists of the same industry, same topics, similar knowledge, likes, dislikes. Jim Rohn said “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” Who’s in your circle? And who’s influencing you?
“Who you hang out with determines what you dream about and what you collide with. And the collisions and the dreams lead to your changes. And the changes are what you become. Change the outcome by changing your circle.” Seth Godin.
- Explore your dream. Whatever dream goal, gift, vision, accomplishment, talent, inkling you have in life, choose to go after that. Explore your gifts, dive into what you want out of life and what you can give to others. Don’t let anyone deter you from that. Even if you have to work night shift for 10 years to give you the income and time to go back to school, or explore your love, don’t let other people’s opinions, thoughts, or own projections of their personal failures on you squash your life. Choose to dominate.
- Choose You. Choose your idea. Choose your dream. Choose to make a difference and leave a lasting legacy. Bet on yourself. Turn the tables. This game can be swung in your favor and it all starts with a choice. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Don’t wait for someone else to believe in you to take action. Stop saying, “No one in my life ever motivated me or told me I could do it.” I’m telling you right now, YOU CAN DO IT. Go. Start. Make. Create. Try.
Don’t wait for a posse of cheerleaders in their skimpy outfits to come running to your sideline cheering for you. It won’t happen. Stop waiting for the perfect timing. Just decide. Decide to dominate in life.
A Few Words Of Caution
When you choose to dominate your life, job, dream, or hobby, you’ll hit a force of resistance from the world. People will say things. Look at you funny. Question, “Who do you think you are?” And even flat out tell you that. But never fear, the critics, skeptics, taunters, and rock throwers are in actually validating that you are on to something.
Pursue your dream. No matter how many sharks are in the water.
You’ll find that over time these naysayers won’t diminish or go away, but instead you will learn to tune them out, like a good referee tunes out constant whining from fans who don’t understand the rules.
And guess what? As you continue down this domination path, your vision will increase and grow bigger. Your dream will begin to encompass more people, and you’ll be building a platform for others to realize their freedom in dreaming big.
That’s the power of choosing to dominate. It’s magnetic. It’s expansive. It’s inclusive. And it’s fun.
You’re not strange. You’re not weird (or maybe you are, but in a good way). There is a rising community of individuals who are just like you. You don’t even have to look for the minority who has the courage to pursue their dreams. They will find you and be drawn to you. And you to them.
The key is that you get started. It’s a point of critical mass—you can’t get your snowball rolling down the mountain, picking up speed, and growing until you actually get your hands wet and cold enough to make a snowball and start rolling it down the mountain.
Decide to dominate. It’s an important decision in your life. Take bite size domination chunks. Decide to dominate your day today. Decide to dominate this week. And eventually you’ll be dominating your life.
What is your vision? What is your dream? Whatever it is, just be sure that it’s big enough to utilize all the gifts you’ve been given. Once you make the choice to dominate, there will be a lot riding on your success—and not just your dream and your livelihood. But the dreams of others.
Let’s dominate together.
Tommy & Tim
Photo: Greg Annadale
Posted on October 30, 2012
by Tim & Tommy