There’s nothing like being confident in what you’re selling. It can be magnetic to your customers when they see your passion and belief in your cause.
In the 1972 film The Godfather, Marlon Brando plays the iconic mobster character. He’s the godfather of the Corleone family.
His confidence captivates the room. So much so that nobody can say no to him.
"I’m going to make you an offer you can’t refuse...” he says. And guess what? They don’t refuse his offer.
Are you making an offer that people CAN refuse?
Isolating this famous script line for illustrative purposes, most offers in Zimbabwe are easily refused. For example...
- Would you like internet installed at your office?
- We’ll add you to a wait list of 6 weeks… Actually we have no idea how long you’ll have to wait...
- And when it’s finally installed, it probably won’t work...
- Then we’ll have to come out and take a look, and we still won’t know why it’s not working...
- Meanwhile, we’ll still charge you each month.
Or how about trying to get your pipes fixed at the residence? Or your car maintained?
There are very few amazing offers going around.
If this is your first start-up experience, work on your sales sheet. What offer are you communicating to your customers?
Zimra, the revenue authority locally here. There are so many people in the informal market because Zimra is making an offer that people can easily refuse. Pay your taxes and in return, you’ll receive terrible roads, higher taxation, and infrastructure that hasn’t been maintained or enhanced in decades. This is why the informal market is skyrocketing.
Ask yourself, is it easy to walk away from your offer? Be honest with yourself…
- Present all the options. You may offer something that doesn’t fit their needs at first…
- That’s okay, give them options if they’re unsure.
- And always put a time expiration on the offer.
Morally, don’t be like the godfather, he was a mobster! But the movie brings up a small lesson to learn from: treat your customers how you want to be treated and give them offers that enhance, enrich, and empower their lives.
And that’s an offer no one will refuse.
Posted on August 10, 2015
by Tim & Tommy filed under